Paleo vs GL diet?

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Paleo vs GL diet?

Postby Loula » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:40 pm

I need to get healthy once and for all and am fed up with constant binge eating sugary foods so whats your views on the two diets? Is there one you favour over he other? Thank you x
Loula

Re: Paleo vs GL diet?

Postby Avelena » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Hi, I am on the GL diet and I don't eat meat so the Paleo would be very difficult. M Dr has started a GI/GL group at the surgery with other over weight though not necessarily Pcos people. I have lost 2/12 stone feel brilliant energy wise and my head feels like a curtain has been lifted in terms of metal clarity and concentration, I am also not hungry so do not feel like I am ' dieting'. low Carbing or GL is brill for PCOS as it is liveable long term and makes you feel brill, also my Cholesterol is 2 and I was nearly type 2 diabetic last year but that has completely gone down, I highly recommend GI low carb GL whatever you want to call it, just get some good info before you do it.

I will also say I cut out carbs first week altogether, felt really crap but after two weeks felt great, small price to pay first week,

Good books Patrick Holford - Burn Fat Fast, Low Gi diet Bible , and GI GL counter green book with High, Med, Low figures for food also Escape The Diet Trap John Briffa. Lot of psychology in the last one but good info too. If you get any books Burn Fat Fast Patrick Holford and GI/GI counter by Wynnie Chan are both brill, the last a definite choice,

Hope that helps,

Diane
If you judge a book by it's cover, you miss what's inside!
Avelena

Postby Loula » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:25 pm

Thank you that's a big help I have got a couple of low gi books but never read them! How do you combine the gi and gl together? Sounds confusing x
Loula

Postby Avelena » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:06 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_load

and

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/foo ... -load-mean

These may help . Basically they are the same but one takes average portion size into consideration, eg carrotts are med but you would need to eat a lot of them to raise the level of blood sugar by eating them, so really they are low in averg portion, The Wynnie Chan GI counter book explains it without making it sound too bad.

A great snack food is a decent nut unsalted or unflavoured, I love cashews, about 10 cashews when hungry will stop you eating bad stuff, find a nut you like brazil, almond, macadamia, and keep some in you bag for when you need them, peanuts not as good. Nairns oatcakes are brill slow release carb yummy with no sugar peanut butter, or Almond butter. If you low carb don't go low fat, as the fat fills you up, trust me, I know it goes against everything we have been told but it works !!!
Avelena

Postby Loula » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Thank you for your help it sounds just what I need, I just need the motivation x
Loula

Postby Avelena » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:45 pm

You're welcome, go for it!!!
Avelena

Postby airry87 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:38 pm

I would have to go with GI Diet. It is much closer to the modern diet and being on an all fruit and veges diet would be just too expensive. The economy does not allow my family to buy fresh fruits, veges and meats every week.
airry87

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating