Weight Watchers Vs Slimming World

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Weight Watchers Vs Slimming World

Postby WhyBird » Wed May 08, 2013 1:45 am

Ive looked at the Dietcare Diet and though its designed for PCOS its far more than normal slimming clubs and I do need that going to a meeting to be weighed to keep my motivation going.

Which one of the above groups have people found they get the best results from? I have about 4 stone to loose
WhyBird

Re: Weight Watchers Vs Slimming World

Postby gemstone83 » Wed May 15, 2013 9:59 am

I found SW better for me but never got really low with my weight with either diet.

I found I could not lose if I had too many green days and didn't lose as much on extra easy either so red days were my winner. I really struggled with weight watchers and didn't really lose anything on the new pro points. The best diet I have had success with is the Michelle Bridges 12 week body transformation it is basically 1200 cals per day with exercise on top eating healthy meals. You could follow these principles using myfitnesspal which is free. If you want a group setting then you can try out SW and see what works for you.

Wishing you all the very best of luck xx
TTC since June 2010
August 2011 - Aug 2013 3 first tri miscarriages and a mmc at 12 weeks
Sticky Blood/Hughes Syndrome/APS diagnosed
Lletz November 2012 following abnormal smear
Beautiful baby girl born July 2014 with the help of 150mg aspirin, fragmin, cyclogest, high dose folic acid and a stitch
gemstone83

Postby GillyRose » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:21 am

I recently joined WW and I don't regret it. It is daunting in the first week at having to figure out how to point foods, but after a few days you get the hang of it. I prefer it over SW as it teaches you about portion sizes, and healthy alternative ingredients to normal meals , where the meal is exactly the same, but with healthier versions of the foods.

Making friends there is great too as you can have someone to help you with pointing, and motivation. Also, you can all exercise together (ours all walk, we have our pedometers and we have a silent race to see who can clock up the most healthy points!)

Its worth paying a visit to, just to see, if anything, if it is the right choice for you x
GillyRose

Postby WhyBird » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:42 pm

I was a memeber of WW but then stopped loosing weight and nothing I did would make it come off and stay off more than a week. I have swapped to myfitness pal and loosing weight again with some help from orlistat and hypnotherapy.
WhyBird

Postby Hols969 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:10 pm

When I was on ww I had to eat 2 points below what they suggested to lose any weight (I didn't have a huge amount to lose tho). I don't think ww takes pcos into account and how well we store fat!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby emilylauraj » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:53 am

I can't say I've tried Weight Watchers, but I have done Slimming world.....It's worked for me, and not a massive effort needed....apparently weight watchers is harder because there's a lot of counting involved. There's always offers on for them, especially as New Year is coming up!!

Good luck!!

x
If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming.
emilylauraj

Postby trisha1981 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi,

I did sw a few years ago, I lost loads. I stopped going as I wanted to go with someone.

My husband and I will do sw together starting Jan 2014. I like the friendly people and all the support u get from the group.

I need to lose about 5 stone min.

If I'm going to get a baby before 35 I better shift that weight and soon.

Hope u lose the weight u need to soon.
trisha1981

Postby becca » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:32 pm

I did weight watchers a few years ago, I lost 2 stone then plateaued and just couldn't shift it no matter how hard I tried and I stopped going. I tried it online 2 years ago but need the motivation of a weekly weigh in.

I joined slimming world 2 weeks ago, second weigh in tomorrow. I lost 3lb on the first week following extra easy which if you put a bit of time and effort into planning meals is an easy plan to follow. Ives totally cut out bread too and no more bloating :)

I hope I can keep the weight loss up, I want another baby but my bmi is around 43, I was 2 stone lighter when I got pregnant with my son and I had the midwives on my back about my weight so I don't want to start off a second pregnancy being heavier than my first if I can help it.
becca

Postby littlelolly » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi, I have tried both but Found WW better. I lost 3 and a half stone with WW on the points plan. I have kept it off for almost 8 years until I went through IVF and ended up gaining 1 and a half stone back. I have now gone back to WW and they have introduced another eating plan which you can use as well as the points plan so it's more flexible and ties in with your life better. The new plan is very similar to SW with eating filling and healthy foods or you can follow the points plan. I like it because one day you can do the points and the next day you can do simple start ( filling and healthy foods). I have been on it a week so only lost 2 pounds so far but I will keep you posted as to how I am doing. The key to it is planning your meals in advance and keeping track of everything that goes in your mouth. They have phone apps to help too which I find great. Let's just hope I can keep motivated and keep losing.
littlelolly

Postby airry87 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:52 am

I go to slimming world because there is an element of listening to your body and tuning in to when to eat and when not to eat.

I find that calorie counting leads me to think I can eat crap all day so long as I stick within my cal limit - slimming world encourages you to fill up on free (healthy ) food and only count and moderate the unhealthy food.

Having said that - a lot of conveniance food is not free on slimming world so on days when i can't do SW 100% instead of just eating what i want all day i will calorie count.

Weight watchers i found annoying because i had to look in my little bible every time i wanted to eat something!

I do find it a little bit of a shame that i have to pay money to go to these meetings but in the end it is a support group that you are paying for, and i know that if i don't have to "deadline" of weigh in at group i will talk myself into all sorts of bad eating choices.

Each to their own but i know a lot of people who would never have lost the weight without the support of a slimming club - and having tried all of them going i personally recommend slimming world over the rest!
Mansuri Schoolwear
Ariana Watson
airry87

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating