Different diets and how much they cost

Struggling with weight control? Tried every diet on earth? The Glycemic Index, Low-Carbs, etc...

Moderators: thebuzz, Northfifer, Sammi, Hols969, DawnyB, purplestar, loachy, Mrs Wilko, Lutzomyia

Different diets and how much they cost

Postby Chicken » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:03 pm

I was doing some research and thought it would be useful for others too. I'll continue this later!

DIET: Norah Lane / Vitaline
COST:Approx £40 first month then £5 per week afterwards (but can vary a little depending on advisor).
CONTACT/WEBSITE:No website, done by email. Contact Norah on norah.cozens@yahoo.com
ABOUT:Designed for women with PCOS and high success rate for others on Verity forum. Works around principles of regular nibbles to keep metabolism up. No carbs with evening meal. You start on a starter diet to cleanse the system. This will kick start your metabolism and usually produces a weight loss of 3lb to 7lb in the first week. All subsequent diets will be based on your metabolic rate; a new diet will be issued every time you lose 3lb, as your metabolic rate can change. You have an adviser you can contact at any time by email for support and to help answer questions.

DIET: Slimming World
COST:£10 to join and then £4.95 per week for group membership. Frequent offers though for free/half price joining. Online packages starting at £59.95 / 3 month membership. Free 7 day plan on website.
CONTACT/WEBSITE: http://www.slimmingworld.com
ABOUT:Uses food optimising plan with basic principles of Free foods - low calorie but nutrious foods (i.e. salads, some vegetables etc) can be consumed in large quanties.
Higher calorie foods that contain essential vitamins and minerals (i.e. fruits) can be consumed 4 times a day
Syn foods - up to 15 'syn' foods per day. Syn foods are based on calorie value.

DIET: Weight Watchers
COST:Monthly pass works out at £2.99 / week (first month £12.95, subsequent months £19.99)
CONTACT/WEBSITE:http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/
ABOUT:Weight Watchers food points and point system are used to calculate how much you eat on a given day

DIET: Low GI / GL
COST:Not a specific diet - best bet is to buy a book.
CONTACT/WEBSITE:None specific but see http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/
ABOUT:GI stands for Glycemic Index and is a measure of the impact of food on your blood sugar. GI stands for Glycemic Index and is a measure of the impact of food on your blood sugar. This is normally recommended for people with PCOS.

DIET: Orlistat / Ali (medication)
COST:Orlistat is a prescription medication so you only pay what you normally would for a prescription, Alli is the lower dose over the counter version. You can buy Ali from Amazon for £40 / 120 capsules (it is also available from Boots and other pharmacies).
CONTACT/WEBSITE: http://www.alli.co.uk/
ABOUT:You take one capsule with every meal. Prevents the body from absorbing approximately 30% of the fat content of foods you eat. Orlistat is available to people with a BMI over 30 or over 28 if they have a medical condition which would benefit from weight loss. Can have nasty side effects with oily stools and what some websites describe as "anal leakage".

DIET: Dukan Diet
COST: Cost is calculated according you your personal "true" weight and how much you want to loose. I've seen people mention from £30 to £70 for the coaching. You can also buy the book for £5 from Amazon.
CONTACT/WEBSITE: http://www.dukandiet.co.uk/
ABOUT: 4-step programme - in initial attack phase you eat protein only (no vegetables or salad) - probably not suitable for vegetarians. Has got a lot of press attention since Kate Middleton allegedly used it for a pre-wedding diet. People normally loose a lot of weight very quickly during the attack phase.

DIET: Lighter Life / Cambridge Diet
COST: Approx £70 / week for Lighter Life or £35 / week for Cambridge Diet (this includes all your "food"). They don't list prices online but these have been quoted elsewhere on the internet.
CONTACT/WEBSITE: http://www.lighterlife.com/ or http://www.cambridgeweightplan.com/
ABOUT: Meal replacement you eat / drink the foodpacks replaces (shakes, soups and bars). This is a very low calorie diet of about 500 calories a day. There is no flexibility and you have to eat / drink what is provided along with plenty of water. People can and do loose a lot of weight on these diets but they are fairly extreme. From their websites you start off using the food packs as your sole source before gradually introducing other food. Counselling and group sessions are part of the plan.
Last edited by Chicken on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken

Postby Hols969 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:09 am

Ive done it as a sticky Chicken as you have made the time to get costs of all etc!! Well done you!
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Meringoo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:05 pm

£70 per week for Cambridge diet?! I did it last year and it was only around £35 per week for 3-4 shakes per day, which is the sole source step. It should then decrease as you work up the steps! :D
Meringoo

Postby Chicken » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:11 pm

That was the price for Lighter Life which I found online - I'll update to show that Cambridge is a bit cheaper!
Chicken

Postby Meringoo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Crikey, Cambridge is actually much nicer than Lighter Life (as far as shakes and soups go...)! I was panicked by that hefty price as I was considering going back on Cambridge again! :lol:

Very helpful sticky though, gives a great overview to help with the tricky dieting decisions, so thank you x
Meringoo

Postby Chicken » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:21 pm

Thanks to Holly for making it a sticky! I've got a couple of others to add to it and will expand out on some of the other sections too when I have a minute :D
Chicken

Postby DeeTheBee » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:43 pm

I just wanted to ask if these diets are something that Verity are happy to promote...? Some of these diets are very unhealthy and especially bad for women with PCOS. I know because I've done some of them and have done a lot of research. I'd like to think I'm a lot wiser now and the truth is that yo yo dieting messes with your metabolism even more. Not something us women need...we have a hard enough time as it is.

There's a book that's been published by Dr Byron J Richards where he talks about how regular eating throughout the day does not improve metabolism and actually has the opposite effect for people whose insulin is not working properly. He mentions PCOS in his book called "The Leptin Diet". I actually tried his guidelines and had great results, but sadly I have an eating disorder and have had to change things for the time being.

I really would recommend that people read his book as the information is very helpful for people like us. I don't think these type of diets are the answer and the cost certainly doesn't seem worth it....

I hope I don't upset anyone with this, I just felt that with all the research out there of how these type of diets are not good for people like us that I should say something. I would be surprised and a bit sad if Verity would advocate them.
DeeTheBee

Postby Chicken » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:14 pm

I was just doing some research a while back and thought I would post all the information as there are often a lot of questions on the different dieting options and how much they cost / what they involve.

As far as I know Verity doesn't endorse any diet other than healthy and sensible eating. There are a lot of posts and information on this board from users that is just personal opinion / experience based so just because something is on here doesn't mean it is endorsed :)

I find that eating regular small meals has had a really positive effect on my metabolism - so just again how personal experience can differ! I'll certainly check out the book you recommend as I'm always reading up on different thoughts in my quest for knowledge!
Chicken

Postby Hols969 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:20 am

No Verity doesnt promote any diet as some work for some but not for others. Chicken had found out quite a lot of information about the diets so we thought it would be worth, as she had made the effort, to do a list.

Actually there is only one diet that has not been mentioned previously by our Verity experts and that is the Dukan Diet but I know one lady has tried it on here with good success though.
Unless stated, my views do not represent the official views, position or standing of Verity
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby DeeTheBee » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:32 am

I think the thing is that when a post is made into a "sticky" it appears as though this is because it is information that is approved by Verity. I understand personal opinion and posting threads, but it's quite different when it's made into a sticky.

Chicken, I'm glad you've had success with your dieting and congrats. There's just no evidence that eating small meals throughout the day helps a metabolism. There have been research studies done with people eating 6 small meals and 3 main meals but on the same calories and both groups lost the same amount of weight. So from the information I have read, I would say that your success is probably not based on how regularly you're eating. Plus the information about how insulin works that Dr Richards has in his book may surprise a lot of people. We've been made to believe a lot of these myths by the diet industry and it's purely for the benefit of them making money.

Holly, I have done the Dukan Diet and it is quite extreme and unhealthy. And like most diets, it's an unrealistic way of life. I liked it at first and also had good results at first but the principles and lack of nutrients is not good at all. I paid a lot of money too and didn't get the results they promised. They brainwash you into thinking doing it is good for your body and health and really it isn't. They allow minimal fat and no room for error. You get absolutely sick of the food too. It's a recipe for failure and I felt worse about myself than ever when I ended it. I put a TON of weight back on as soon as I stopped it too.

I have to agree about healthy eating though. There's a book written by a dietician called Managing PCOS for Dummies...not a great title but it's good information. Not much new for me because I've done so much research, but it's very simple and the best way to go about being healthy and not being too restrictive.
DeeTheBee

Postby Hols969 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:41 am

I dont think it is any different to the medication forum where one lady has done a sticky on contraceptive pills, this isnt endorsed by Verity but it is useful from an information point of view, it is up to the individual person if they follow it through.
Hols969
Verity Admin

Re: Different diets and how much they cost

Postby CysterSister90 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:22 pm

I think this is actually a really useful thread. I wouldn't say verity are endorsing these diets, if they were surely it would be on the main pages of the website and not only on the discussion boards. I can't see that its any different than if each one of us had discussed our diets and how much they cost. I have been wondering about trying the vitaline diet and its cost. I know that a lot of the ladies on here have tried this and been relatively successful, so I'm happy to be able to look through all of the diets and compare them. I already know that I do not want to go on a VLCD such as lighter life and cambridge diet and I have the common sense to ignore those. I think most other ladies have the common sense to ignore the ones they don't approve of, also making it a sticky just makes it easier for women looking for a thread similar to this and making it easily accessible.

I shall go ask more questions now on the vitaline thread,
See you soon ladies ;),

Liz
CysterSister90

Postby marineomania » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:24 pm

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone can help or give advice. Unfortunately I have found myself to be unlucky and have intolerances to wheat, egg and potato as well as having PCOS, making just eating healthily to lose weight very difficult. As i need to lose the weight I was wondering if anyone had any idea of which of the diets above would be best for me to follow? Thanks :)
marineomania

Postby Hols969 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Probably any really as you can tailor it to what you want, I dont eat wheat on the Norah Lane/Vitaline one. In fact I only eat potato on your list and not much of that!
Hols969
Verity Admin

Postby Pinkprincess205 » Thu May 03, 2012 11:59 am

I have pcos n needed to lose weight. My doctor suggested the cambridge diet. N so far iv lost 45lb. It is a low cal diet but it has all the vitamins n minerals you need for a day. N you can only do the 500 cals for 12 wks n then u have to go up a level n eat more. I would defo reccomend it.
Vic x
baby boy born 25th Aug 2015 at 37+5 weighing 5lb 14ozs.
Miscarriage 12/1/16 at 5 1/2 weeks
Pregnant due 17/12/16 with boy num 2.
Pinkprincess205

Next

Return to Weight & Healthy Eating